Now celebrating 15 years Chalking Up downtown!
New footprint along Houston Street & Main Avenue. More info on our Chalk It Up page.
Bring your family and friends to the 15th annual Artpace Chalk It Up, a free festival of contemporary art that transforms Downtown San Antonio into a gallery – from the ground up.
Artpace Chalk It Up turns Downtown San Antonio into a chalk canvas, showcasing local emerging artists and raising funds for Artpace’s education and public programs. Chalk It Up encourages everyone to become an artist for a day as we work on a collaborative city block-sized mural. Local schools, universities, and non-profits are invited to play a significant role at Chalk It Up by creating an original design together as members of “Team Works.” Registration for Team Works is available here (click “Get Involved”).
Corporations and local businesses get in on the fun too. Register today for the Chalk It Up Corporate Competition.
Artpace Chalk It Up is presented by Argo Group with additional support from Valero Energy Foundation.
CHALK IT UP ACTIVITIES:
• PUBLIC MURALS – Artists from all walks of life create murals about their organizations and businesses along Houston Street and Main Avenue.
• ARTISTS – Chalk It Up artists are always selected locally—they’re some of the city’s best. The talented artists at Chalk It Up create compelling, original murals on downtown sidewalks.
• FOOD TRUCKS – Some of San Antonio’s finest mobile restauranteurs will offer fresh local food to hungry chalk artists of all ages.
• LIVE MUSIC – The Artpace Chalk It Up stage across from Artpace features live music from a range of local musical artists.
• FREESTYLE – Let your creative genius run wild in our Freestyle Zones. We’ll provide buckets of chalk and plenty of blank canvas in the form of downtown’s colorless streets; you bring the artwork.
Artpace is a non-profit contemporary art organization located in downtown San Antonio, Texas with residencies, exhibitions, and educational and community programs that nurture the freedom to dream. Artpace supports the creative process and engages audiences with the most innovative art and artists from around the world.
Since 1995, Artpace has welcomed more than 270 artists and curators through its renowned International Artist-in-Residence program. Annually, Artpace hosts three residencies, which each feature one Texas-based artist, one national artist, and one international artist, who are selected by a notable guest curator. Each eight-week residency culminates in a two-month exhibition on site. The mission of this program is to provide artists with unparalleled resources that allow them to experiment with new ideas and take provocative risks.